Sunday, September 18, 2016

From one turkey to another... :/

The smell of cooking turkey danced a ballet around the kitchen. I stood at the stove, stirring the gravy when Tires came running through the entrance and skidded across the floor on his knees. With both hands grasped in begging formation he cried out in his most dispirit and longing voice "I'm hungry mom!" I took notice of the chocolate cake batter splattered on his shirt and face and chuckled at my little 'Oliver Twist'. "It's almost ready" I tried to reassured him. "I'm hungry mom!" He continued to beg. At long last the potatoes were mashed and the table was set. Above the constant dull roar of children learning the art of reverence we prayed and, much to his great joy, began dishing up. I took hold of the leg and jerked to free the drumstick. Much of the thigh came with it. Tire's gasped and awed at its glorious sight. I asked him if he wanted it. he nodded enthusiastically, like a starved rugby player, "Uh-huh!" He replied. "Can you eat it all?" I asked. Again, he replied "Uh-huh!" I shrugged and set the meat on his plate. His face, mixed with emotion, reflected hunger of a thousand wolves and the awe of a new father. The wild animal in him dominated and eagerly he tore into his prize. Piece by piece and bite by bite, the heap slowly dwindled to the bone. Satisfied, he sighed and leaned back in his chair. I stared at his plate, suddenly fearing his teen years and my requirement to keep him fed.

No comments:

Post a Comment